A little insight into how Astera Credit Union was formed...
Sixty years ago, John Tome watched with sadness as his co-workers lost homes, cars and furnishings to their lenders during a work stoppage at Fisher Auto Body. He quickly learned that there wasn't a credit union that the workers could turn to in their time of need. John immediately contacted president of UAW Local 602, Tom Eno, to express his dismay over the situation and suggest they organize a credit union. With the help of Archie Perry, Bill Ingram, Steve Gmazel and others, they proceeded with chartering a credit union.
On January 8th, 1949 charter #6016 was granted to the Lansing Fisher Federal Credit Union. The following are the original members to sign it—Rudolf Glasier, John Tome, Kenneth D. Smith, J.B. Eno, Archie Perry, Richard C. Johnson, Harold Williams, Edmond Cambell and Bill Ingram. Each of these members subscribed to one, $5.00 share. At that time, the credit union started operating out of John Tome’s residence on Olds Avenue in Lansing with just a handful of members. Many members who worked at Fisher Body took advantage of the payroll deduction system which consisted of John walking the factory floor taking change to deposit for them. This all had to be done by hand! At the end of 1950, assets totaled $16,709.66 with 301 members.
The credit union operated out of the Tome’s home for many years until Auto Body Credit Union moved to a building at 320 Clare Street (it’s now the Communications Workers Local 4040). In 1968, the Main Office was built at 111 S. Waverly Road. In 1975, the East side addition of Main Office was completed and then leased out.
In 1981, Auto Body Credit Union merged with Co-Op Credit Union at 5218 S. Logan Street and the South Branch was born. After 2 years, the South Office was moved to the location of 5210 S. Cedar Street. In 2004, a new branch was built at 320 E. Jolly Rd. and South Branch remains there today. In 1986, a third branch was started at 2010 N Larch Street and has since moved to its current location14049 Lindsey Lane in Dewitt, MI . A fourth branch was built in fall of 2005 at 137 S. Marketplace Boulevard on the west side of town. In 2008 Auto Body Credit Union merged with Auto Body Workers Credit Union of Ionia and we gained our first branch in Ionia County at 428 W. Washington in Ionia, MI.
On April 4, 2011 Auto Body Credit Union changes its name to Astera Credit Union.
Name changes for the credit union have also occurred. You can see and appreciate the history of your credit union!
1-8-49 Lansing Fisher Federal Credit Union
4-1-49 Lansing Fisher Employees Federal Credit Union
6-5-56 Auto-Body Employees Federal Credit Union
6-21-65 Auto Body Federal Credit Union
1-12-68 Auto Body Credit Union (no longer federally chartered)
4-4-11 Astera Credit Union